Hansen, Randall Cluster Member
- European Politics
- Political History
- Comparative Politics
- Making immigration Work: Liberalism, Liberal Democracy & the Mass Movement of People (manuscript in preparation)
- The Eugenic Century: Immigration, Forced Sterilization & Choice in the West (manuscript in preparation)
- Liberalism Unbound: The Integration of Immigrants in Europe and North America (edited volume in preparation).
- Making Cooperation Work: States, and International Cooperation (joint University of Toronto/International Organization for Migration, Geneva research project, funded by the Swiss Foundation for Population, Migration and the Environment: two conferences and a manuscript currently under review).
- Immigration & Public Opinion in Europe, North America & Australia (conference & edited volume jointly sponsored by the Canada Research Chair in Immigration & Governance, Department of Political Science, University of Toronto & the School of Public Policy, University of Texas at Austin).
- Fire and Fury: The Allied Bombing of Germany (Doubleday, 2008: www.fireandfury.info).
- 'The two faces of liberalism: Islam in Contemporary Europe’, Journal of Ethnic and Migration studies (in press), 2009
- ‘The poverty of postnationalism: Citizenship & immigration in the new Europe’, Theory and Society (Vol. 37, No. 3, 2008)
- ‘Controversy, Commemoration & Capitulation: the Canadian War Museum & Bomber Command’, [with Robert Bothwell & Margaret Macmillan], Queens Quarterly (Vol. 115, No. 3, 2008), pp. 367-387.
- ‘The Danish Cartoon Controversy: a Defence of Liberal Freedom’, International Migration (Vol. 44, No. 5, 2006), 7-16.
Business News Network [BNN]: ‘Squeeze Play,’ November 11, 2008 [interview]. CTS:‘Michael Coren Show,’ November 11, 2008. IChannel: ‘Bombing and the Ethics of War,’ National Film Board on-line series, On All Fronts: World War II and the NFB: http://www3.nfb.ca/ww2/critical-perspectives/the-rights-and-wrongs-of-war.htm?article=18713&subtype=articles @Issue, Arlene Bynon, September 25, 2008 TVOntario: “Gregg in Conversation,” September 18, 2008.
Andrew Krystal, ‘Maritime Morning,’ 95.7 FM, Interview, November 7, 2008. ‘Good day, GTA,’ Classical Radio, 96.3 FM, Toronto, Interview, November 7, 2008. Debate with Audrey Macklin, Faculty of Law, on an amnesty for illegal immigration, Michael Enright’s CBC Sunday Edition, June 1, 2008: http://www.cbc.ca/radioshows/THE_SUNDAY_EDITION/20080601.shtml
‘An Air Raid like any Other,’National Post, February 17, 2009. Robert Bothwell, Randall Hansen and Margaret Macmillan, ‘Remembrance and History,’ Ottawa Citizen, November 11, 2008. Brian Bethune, ‘Are we Beasts, asked Churchill: Bomber Command the Complicated Question of how the Allies one the Second World War,’ Maclean’s, October 16, 2008 [interview & review of Fire and Fury] Interview with Craig Rentoul, Book Bits, October 16, 2008: http://bookbits.ca/joomlatest/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=281&Itemid=26 Paul Gessel, ‘Firebomb Fury: Allies ‘massacred’ German civilians, says author,’ Ottawa Citizen, October 11, 2008 [interview and review of Fire and Fury]. Robert Bothwell, Randall Hansen and Margaret Macmillan, ‘Hiding from History,’ October 10, 2008Lynda Hurst, ‘Stirring up yet another religious storm: Question of whether to keep the faith or move `beyond it' sparks furor at Queen's Park,’ Toronto Star, May 9, 2008 [quoted] Bill Curry and Omar El Akkad, ‘Official rejects immigration-law concerns, Globe and Mail, March 29, 2008 [quoted] ‘Streit mit Kanadas Bombenkriegern,’ Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, January 16, 2008 [interviewed]
Professor Randall Hansen's research interests include public policy and history. He holds a Canada Research Chair in Immigration & Governance, and has published widely on immigration, citizenship and multiculturalism. He also publishes on military and political history, including the history and morality of strategic bombing. His most recent book is Fire and Fury: The Allied Bombing of Germany (Doubleday, 2008): www.fireandfury.info.